Luxembourg Forum and Pugwash Conferences Joint Seminar in Rome to Discuss Urgent Measures to Advance Nuclear Non-Proliferation
A joint seminar of the Luxembourg Forum on Preventing Nuclear Catastrophe and Pugwash Conferences on Science and World Affairs will meet in Rome, on Thursday 12 June 2008, to continue urgent discussions regarding the safeguarding of nuclear fuel and improved controls of the nuclear fuel cycle in preparation for the 2010 Review Conference of the Parties to the Treaty on the Non-Proliferation of Nuclear Weapons (NPT).
The seminar has been organized by Viatcheslav Kantor, President of the Luxembourg Forum on Preventing Nuclear Catastrophe and Paolo Cotta Ramusino, Secretary General of Pugwash Conferences on Science and World Affairs.
More than 20 leading experts from 7 sovereign nations will be participating in the seminar, which will discuss various pressing topics relating to the Nuclear Non Proliferation Treaty (NPT) and other associated issues, including:
• The State of the Nuclear Disarmament and NPT Regime
• Situation in the Middle East and other regions, causing proliferation concern
• Nuclear Proliferation and the Problem of Terrorism
• Inalienable and Equal Right of all NPT Parties to Promote Research, Production and Use of Nuclear Energy for Peaceful Purposes
• Strengthening the NPT Regime
The conference delegates will hear important reports and updates and debate these pressing issues with key strategic figures from the world of nuclear arms and nuclear energy, including:
• Ambassador Hans BLIX, former Chairman of the Weapons of Mass Destruction Commission, former Director General of the IAEA (Sweden)
• Professor Uzi ARAD, Director of the Institute for Policy and Strategy at the Lauder School of Government, Diplomacy and Strategy, Interdisciplinary Center Herzliya; Adviser to the Knesset Foreign Affairs and Defense Committee (Israel)
• Dr. William POTTER, Director of the James Martin Center for Non-Proliferation Studies and Professor of Non-Proliferation Studies, Monterey Institute of International Studies (USA)
• Mr. Jayantha DHANAPALA, Chairman of the United Nations University Council and President of the Pugwash Conferences on Science and World Affairs; member of the Governing Board of the Stockholm International Peace Research Institute (SIPRI) and several other advisory boards of international bodies.
The joint Luxembourg Forum and Pugwash conference Seminar will focus on the significantly increased dangers of nuclear weapons falling into the hands of rogue states and terrorist organizations. This continues to be the world's primary threat to regional and global security in 2008. The gathering will initiate and review specific breakthrough proposals to counter these threats to civilization.
Please contactLuxembourg Forum Press Centrefor more info.